std_sad

STD: Risks

Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs):

If you are involved sexually…

  • Beware.. Your partner may not know he/she has an STD if no initial symptoms are present – you could become infected.
  • Beware.. Your partner may not tell you the truth if he/she has been sexually active in the past.
  • Beware… You can have an STD and have no symptoms for weeks, months, possibly years. STDs are contagious even though no symptoms exist.

Avoid the Risks … Save Sex for Marriage

According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), condoms do not provide complete protection from any STD or pregnancy. They have only been shown to reduce the risk of STDs like gonorrhea, chlamydia and trichomoniasis. Genital ulcer diseases (genital herpes, and syphilis) and HPV infection can occur in both male or female genital areas that are covered or protected by a latex condom, as well as in areas that are not covered. Correct and consistent use of latex condoms can reduce the risk of genital herpes, syphilis, and chancroid only when the infected area or site of potential exposure is protected. Condoms may lower the risk of HPV. The risk of HIV is reduced 85%, but this still leaves a 15% risk compared to not using a condom at all. HIV causes AIDS and is routinely fatal.

The surest way to avoid pregnancy or any infection with a sexually transmitted disease is to practice sexual abstinence (abstain from any sexual contact) while single. If you marry, select a partner who is not infected with an STD and remain sexually faithful during marriage.

When you have sex with someone, you are having sex with everyone they have had sex with for the last ten years, and everyone they and their partners have had sex with for the last ten years. C. Everett Koop, Former U.S. Surgeon General

Some Final Consideration

If you engage in premarital sexual activity:

  1. You are very likely to contact an STD.
  2. You may not realize you have an STD until it’s “too late”
  3. You could be legally liable if you infect someone.

If you discover that you have an STD:

  1. You need treatment immediately.
  2. You must stop sexual activity.
  3. You need to notify all sexual partners.

Content taken with permission from the following informational pamphlet:
Is Sex Safe? | ©2010 Heritage House ’76, Inc.